- 2 cups low-fat (1% milkfat) milk
- 1/4 cup dark molasses
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 2 large egg whites
- 3 tablespoons firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine (melted)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon chopped crystallized ginger (optional)
Preheat oven to 300°F.
In a medium-size saucepan, combine the milk and molasses. Stir in the cornmeal.
Cook, stirring constantly, over moderate heat for 5 to 6 minutes or until thick. Set aside.
In a medium-size bowl, combine the egg whites, brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, and salt.
Stir into the cornmeal mixture.
Stir in the raisins and ginger (if using).
Spoon mixture into an 8-inch round baking dish.
Bake for 45 minutes.