Gajar ka halwa also known as gajrela. Winter is never complete without some tempting gajar ka halwa. Here is a easy recipe for the most popular Indian dessert Gajar ka Halwa.
- 1 kg carrots
- 1 1/2 litre milk
- 400-500 gm sugar
- elaichi powder (cardomon)
- saffron few flakes
- few drops orange colour (optional)
- 1 tbsp ghee
- Peel and grate carrots.
- Put milk and carrots in a heavy saucepan. Boil till thick, stirring occassionally. Once it starts thickening, stir continuously.
- Add sugar and cook further till thickens.
- Add ghee, elaichi, saffron and colour. Stir on low heat till the mixture collects in a soft ball or the ghee oozes out.
- Serve hot, decorated with a chopped almond or pista.