Cheeslings are made during Christmas …They are a staple for family Christmas celebrations.
- 1/2 kg plain flour
- 500 grams mild cheddar grated
- 100 grams unsalted margarine
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- Salt to taste
- Vegetable/ canola/ sunflower cooking oil to deep fry
- Sieve the flour and baking powder together and mix well.
- Mix the margarine, a little at a time, with the flour to
form a crumbly mixure.
- Add the cheese and mix well.
- Add water, a little at a time, to make a stiff dough.
- Divide the dough into 6-7 equal portions and roll on a
floured surface into a circle about 1/4 inch thick.
- Use a pizza cutter (roller blade type) to cut the circle
into think strips in one direction and then in the other direction so that
you end up with small diamond shapes.
- Heat enough oil to deep fry, in a large pan (on a medium
flame). The oil is hot enough when a piece of the dough dropped into it
sizzles and rises to the top of the oil immediately.
- Deep fry these diamond shapes till they are a light
- Drain on paper towels and allow to cool.
- Store in an airtight container.