Stuffed Tomatoes Recipe
Stuffed tomatoes are a delicious choice for a quick supper or even a mid-day luncheon. Learn how tomatoes can be combined with other ingredients to create rich flavors which are a perfect summertime side dish.
- 6 large tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded, chopped
- 3 cups cooked rice (about 1 cup raw long-grain rice)
- 6 slices bacon, cooked until crisp, crumbled
- salt and pepper, to taste
- soft buttered bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup shredded Mozzarella or Monterey Jack cheese
Suggested Read: Tomato soup
- Cut off the top of tomatoes and scrape the pulp out of inside, leaving a firm shell.
- Add pulp to the skillet with the bell pepper, onion, and jalapeno pepper.
- Cook covered over low heat for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add rice and bacon and season to taste.
- Stuff this back into the tomatoes and sprinkle with bread crumbs and shredded cheese.
- Place tomatoes in a casserole or baking dish with about 1/4 cup of water to keep from sticking. Cook in the oven at 425° for 15 to 20 minutes or until tomatoes are tender.
Suggested Read: Store Tomatoes For Months