6 large tomatoes
1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
1 cup chopped onion
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded, chopped
3 cups cooked rice (about 1 cup raw long-grain rice)
6 slices bacon, cooked until crisp, crumbled
salt and pepper, to taste
soft buttered bread crumbs
3/4 cup shredded Mozzarella or Monterey Jack cheese
- Cut off the top of tomatoes and scrape pulp out of inside, leaving a firm shell.
- Add pulp to skillet with the bell pepper, onion and jalapeno pepper.
- Cook covered over low heat for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add rice and bacon and season to taste.
- Stuff this back into the tomatoes and sprinkle with bread crumbs and shredded cheese.
- Place tomatoes in a casserole or baking dish with about 1/4 cup of water to keep from sticking. Cook in the oven at 425° for 15 to 20 minutes or until tomatoes are tender.