Restaurant Style Paneer Methi Malai Recipe
Methi Malai Paneer is a wonderful paneer curry with fresh fenugreek leaves, enjoy this restaurant-style creamy veg at home with roti or rice.
1. Fresh Paneer (Cottage Cheese): 200 gms
2. Tomatoes : 3 (medium-sized and ripe)
3. Onions: 2 (medium-sized)
4. Garlic: 3-4 cloves or Ginger garlic paste: 1 tbs
5. Capsicum: 1 (small, finely chopped)
6. Fresh Cream/ Malai: 1/4 cup
7. Kasoori Methi: 2 tbs
8. Turmeric Powder: 1 Tsp
9. Red Chilli Powder: 1 Tsp
10. Coriander Powder: 2 Tsp
11. Cumin Powder: 1 Tsp
12. Cumin seeds/ Jeera: 1/2 Tsp
13. Garam masala: 1 and a 1/2 tsp ( I use MTR)
14. Kitchen King Masala: 3/4 tsp ( I use MDH)
16. Oil: 3 tbs
17. Salt: As per taste
Suggested Read: Paneer Manchurian, Paneer Pakora
- Wash the paneer/ cottage cheese well and cube it. Keep the size small and not too big.
- Take the onions and grind them into a paste.
- Separately, puree the tomatoes and keep them aside. If you are using garlic cloves instead of paste, you could add them while pureeing tomatoes.
- Take a wok/pan and heat oil in it. Splutter the cumin seeds followed by the addition of ground onion paste.
Suggested Read: Paneer Pasanda, Palak Paneer
- Saute this well till the onion paste becomes golden brown and the onions are completely cooked, which means they have left the oil. ( Undercooked onions leave a sweet taste and a raw flavor).
- Add chopped capsicum to it and saute for 3 minutes.
- Now add all the spices (just add 1 tsp Garam Masala and leave 1/2 tsp for the finishing flavor) and cook.
- Throw in the tomato puree and cook till the oil separates. You’ll feel the aroma lingering in the whole kitchen by now.
- Sprinkle salt and Kasuri methi into the gravy. Adjust the texture by the addition of water.
- Now add the soft paneer cubes to the gravy. ( I do not shallow fry the paneer cubes as that would make them slightly sticky).
- Cook covered for 3-5 minutes on sim/low flame. This will infuse the flavor into the cubes. Do not stir too often else the paneer cubes will break.
- Shower the remaining garam masala and add the fresh cream at last. Cover and cook for 2 minutes.
- Serve the aromatic paneer with Tandoori Roti/ Naan/ Lacchha Paratha.
Suggested Read: Paneer Bhurji, Paneer Korma