How to make Tandoori Roti
Tandoori Roti (तंदुरी रोटी) is made with whole-wheat flour and traditionally cooked in a clay oven or tandoor (पारंपरिक मिट्टी के तंदुर). This recipe uses a regular home oven with pizza or baking stone which provides a similar effect to the tandoor.
- 2.5 cups whole wheat flour/atta
- ¾ to 1 cup water for kneading or as required. (Do not add oil or butter to the Flour while kneading this will make roti fall while cooking in the cooker).
- Some oil, ghee, or butter for spreading on the cooked bread/roti.
- Sieve the atta or whole wheat flour
- Then add a ¾ cup to 1 cup water gradually.
- Mix everything and gather the mixture to begin kneading.
- Knead to a smooth, soft pliable dough.
- Keep the dough covered for 15-20 minutes.
- Make small to medium-sized balls from the dough.
- Now on a rolling board, flatten a dough ball and sprinkle some flour on it.
- On one side of the flattened disc spread little oil/butter or ghee.
- Fold into a circle or rose shape ball.
- Roll it into a small to medium-sized round disks.
- Roti should be a little thick.
- Heat wide mouth old cooker or any thick metal wide mouth pot.
- Heat the pot on the gas stove for 2-4 minutes on high flame.
- Now reduce the flame.
- Dip your fingers in water spread the water on one side of the roti/bread and stick the wet side of the bread to the inside of the side of the hot pot.
- You can Bake 3-4 rotis in one batch.
- Increase the flame.
- Use mittens so that you don’t burn your fingers.
- When you see bubbles appearing. Carefully flip the Pot upside down on the open fire.
- Single handle pot or cooker is ideal for making tandoori roti because you can flip the pot easily.
- Keep the pot in upside down for one minute on medium flame.
- Flip again and you will see the second side cooked well enough.
- Flip once more for even cooking.
- Lastly, flip again. the whole roti has to be cooked well.
If roti is falling down from the pot/cooker. Roast on an open flame with the help of flat tong.
keep the roti in a roti basket or casserole. Take some butter or ghee to spread on the roti.
spread the butter or ghee evenly. If you want you can skip the butter or ghee.
Tava or griddle method:
- After you are done rolling the roti, spread water evenly all over the roti. you can use your fingers to spread water or use a pastry brush.
- Place the roti, watered side down on a hot Tawa. use a cast iron Tawa.
- Don’t use non-stick as the roti will fall off when you flip the griddle upside down.
- Allow cooking for a minute on a low to medium flame.
- Now carefully flip the tawa (griddle) upside down on the flame. The flame has to be on low to medium or else the roti might get burnt.
- Rotate the Tawa for even roasting.
- Roast tandoori roti well on the open flame.
- In this method, you can bake only one roti at a time.
- Sometimes the Tawa will have a few bits of cooked roti, which you can scrape off.
- Spread some butter or ghee on the cooked tandoori roti.
Serve tandoori roti hot with any dal, vegetable or paneer curry or chicken curry on any main or side dish.