Punjab Election 2017
The Term of the Legislative Assembly of Punjab is due to expire on 18th March 2017, therefore it is bound for the fresh general election for which the dates have been announced by the Election Commission.
Schedule for holding General Elections to the Legislative Assembly of Punjab.
|Sl.No.||Poll Event||Single Phase (ALL 117 ACs)|
|1.||Date of Notification||11.01.2017 (WED)|
|2.||Last Date of Making Nominations||18.01.2017 (WED)|
|3.||Scrutiny of Nominations||19.01.2017 (THU)|
|4.||Withdrawal of Candidature||21.01.2017 (SAT)|
|5.||Date of Poll||04.02.2017 (SAT)|
|6.||Date of Counting||11.03.2017 (SAT)|
|7.||Date of Completion||15.03.2017 (WED)|
A total number of Assembly Constituencies in Punjab are 117 out of which 34 are reserved for SCs. Total No. of Electors as per Drafts on 1st January 2017 in Punjab is 19214236. The percentage of Electors Photo Identity Cards in Punjab is 98.57% and remaining electors are advised to obtain their Elector Photo Identity Cards from the Electoral Registration Officers of their Assembly Constituencies, urgently. There will 22600 Polling stations in Punjab which is 14.5% more than a number of polling stations in 2012.
The current ruling coalition is Shiromani Akali Dal – Bharatiya Janata Party alliance led by Parkash Singh Badal. The forthcoming elections into three-cornered contests between Shiromani Akali Dal-Bharatiya Janata Party, Aam Aadmi Party and Indian National Congress where Bahujan Samaj Party stands fourth largest party. Aawaaz-e-Punjab is the new party formed by Navjot Singh Siddhu and is expected to give strong competition to the other parties.
Major Issues that Parties have to fight for are :
- SYL – Sutlej Yamuna Link Canal Issue.
- Drugs in Punjab – How to control it and become a drug-free state.
- The youth of Punjab – how will the youth get jobs and what developments can be done in regard to employment.
- Farmer’s needs and wants – what all measures can be done to improve farming and increasing productivity.
- Girl child education – Governments should work on the education of girl children and the empowerment of women.
- Corruption – The parties need to prove that they are corruption-free. They need to showcase an ideal situation where people can fearlessly move ahead without bribing anyone.