Paneer Bhurji Recipe | How to make Paneer Bhurji
Paneer Bhurji (पनीर भुर्जी) is a popular North Indian breakfast recipe made from crumbled paneer. Bhurji means scrambled. So in this dish, the paneer i.e. cottage cheese is scrambled. The whole dish is sauteed onions-tomatoes with spices to which the crumbled paneer is added. It is a quick recipe that does not take much time to prepare. best to have Paneer Bhurji hot with some bread or rolls or pav/Indian bread, rotis or parathas, and a cup of hot tea. Paneer Bhurji can also be served as a side dish.
There are other types of Bhurji recipes that we make in north India like egg Bhurji, Matar paneer Bhurji, and mooli ki Bhurji. All these Bhurji recipes are quick to make and ideal for breakfast. In North India, they are often had with chapatis. Egg Bhurji and paneer Bhurji are quite popular and served in most north Indian Dhaba’s (roadside eateries). Paneer Bhurji recipe is a medley of onions, tomatoes, spices with cottage cheese.
- 200 gms paneer, crumbled (cottage cheese)
- 1 medium-sized onion/pyaaz, finely chopped
- 1 large or 2 medium-sized tomato/tamatar, finely chopped
- 1 or 2 green chilies/hari mirch, finely chopped
- 3 to 4 small garlic + ½ inch ginger made in a paste in mortar-pestle or 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder/haldi
- ½ tsp red chilly powder/lal mirch powder
- ¼ tsp garam masala powder
- ½ tsp cumin seeds/jeera
- 1.5 tbsp oil, ghee, butter or white butter
- salt as required
- a few coriander/dhania leaves for garnishing (optional)
How to make this recipe:
Crumble the paneer/cottage cheese and keep aside
Heat oil or ghee or butter in a pan.
Add cumin seeds first if you are using them. once they get browned, add onions. when the onions become translucent, add ginger-garlic paste and chopped green chilies.
Saute till the raw aroma of the ginger-garlic goes away.
Then add tomatoes and cook till they become soft. you can add a pinch of salt so that the tomatoes get cooked faster.
Now add all the dry spice powders – turmeric, red chili powder, garam masala powder.
Stir the spice powders.
Then, add the crumbled paneer and let it cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
Do not cook the paneer for a long time as they harden and lose their softness.
Lastly, add chopped coriander leaves to paneer Bhurji and mix.
Serve paneer Bhurji with bread toast. you can also serve Paneer Bhurji with Rotis, plain parathas, or as a side dish.