Lauki Ke Kofte | Bottle Gourd Kofta Curry
Lauki Ke Kofte or Bottle Guard dumpling is a veg curry in which kofta made with bottle gourd are cooked in a light tomato and onion gravy.
Ingredients for the gravy:
- 2 tbsp Ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 tsp Jeera (cumin seeds)
- 1 tsp Ginger, finely chopped
- 1/4cup (50 gms) Dahi (yogurt), beaten smooth
- 1/4 cup Khus-khus (poppy seeds) soaked in milk for 1/2 hour
- 1 1/2 tsp Dhania (coriander) powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Sendha Namak (rock salt)
- 1/4 tsp Chilli powder
- Hara dhania (green coriander), chopped for garnishing
Suggested Read: Indian Food
Ingredients for the kofte:
- 4 cups (500 gms) Ghiya or Lauki (bottle gourd), peeled and grated
- 1/2 tsp Ginger paste
- 1/2 tsp Sendha Namak (rock salt)
- 1/2 tsp Kali Mirch, Powdered(black pepper powder)
- 2 tbsp Singhare ka atta (water chestnut flour)
- Oil for deep-frying
Suggested Read: Famous Food Of Indian States
Deep-fried koftas (round-shaped deep-fried spicy dumplings) made of grated bottle gourd
- Squeeze water out of the Ghiya; mix in salt, ginger, and black pepper. Sauté over a high flame, to dry up excess liquid and leave to cool.
- Add Singhare ka atta, mix well and shape into walnut-sized balls.
- Deep-fry koftas to a golden brown over a high flame and keep aside.
- Heat ghee; add jeera followed by ginger and sauté to a light brown.
- Grind the khus-khus into a paste. Add dhania powder, salt, and chili powder, and sauté till oil separates.
- Add 2-3 cups water and bring to a boil, then simmer for about 10 minutes. Add koftas and Dahi, simmer for another 2 minutes, and serve hot.
- Garnish the Lauki Ke Kofte with Hara dhania.
Suggested Read: Food Foreigners should Never Miss In India