Bhindi Bhaji cooked in a generous amount of oil enlightens taste buds in every bite it has a subtle flavor enhanced by the spices here. Serve as part of a vegetarian meal with dal, rice bread, raita, and chutney, or even still just as a side dish.
1 teaspoon Chili powder
2 teaspoons Ground turmeric
2 teaspoons Ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon Salt 1 lb Okra, trimmed
6 tablespoons Vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups Roughly chopped onions
1 tablespoon Water (optional)
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh coriander, for garnish
2 Lemons, quartered for garnish
- In a small bowl combine the chili powder, turmeric, coriander, and salt.
2. With a sharp knife, cut lengthwise slit in each okra pod, taking care not to cut
3. Stuff each pod with a little of the spice mixture.
4. In a medium saucepan, heat the oil over high heat.
5. Add onions and cook, stiring constanly,12 minutes, or until browned.
6. Reduce the heat to low and add the okra.
7. Add the water if the mixture seems to dry.
8 Cook, Covered 10 minutes, or until the okra is tender but still retains it’s color.
9. Serve garnish with fresh coriander and lemons