Here is traditional kadhi recipe, spiced yougurt based sauce thickened with gram flour you will love the the treasured recipe of punjab with a twist. The main thing in our recipe is that adding pakora is optional it goes well even without adding pakora. Pakora make kadhi more filling and delicious but require more effort and time to prepare them.
Ingredients for kadhi
- 2 Cup sour curd (Sourness is must for the curd)
- 2 tsp besan (gram flour)
- 1/4 tsp tumeric powder
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds (Methi seeds)
- Chilli powder
- Saunf Seeds (Aniseed Seeds)
- 1 Potato
- 1/2 Onion
- Salt according to taste
- 1 tsp Mustard oil
Ingredients for Tempering
- 1 tsp Ghee
- Mustard Seeds
- Kasuri Methi
Ingredients for Pakora
- 1/2 cup Gram flour
Method for pakore
- Mix the garm flour and salt with water to form a thick dropping consistency.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry pakoras in medium flame.
- Pakore should be fluffy and golden brown.
- Transfer the pakoras on a tissue paper to soak excess oil.
You can make pakora with Gram Flour mixed with cubed potato, onion, bringal, chillies, I use simple pakora as kadhi already have onion and potato in it, and simple pakora adds different flavour to it.
Method for Kadhi
- Mix gram flour, tumeric, chilli powder and curd in a mixer and form a smooth paste.
- Add water to make the paste runny.
- In a large pan add mustard oil, after the oil is hot add fenugreek seeds (Methi seeds) and Saunf Seeds (Aniseed Seeds).
- Add thin cubes of potato and onion, keep in stiring till the onions are translucent.
- When the onions and potato are done add the curd mixture slowly and keep it stiring it till it start boiling and add salt.
- Once it start boiling simmer the gas and let it cook for 20 minutes till the potatoes are soft and the curry thickens.
- After the potatoes are soft and curry thickens little bit add the pakoras.
- Pakoras absorb the curry so dont make curry too thick at this stage.
- Let the pakoras cook in curry for 10 minutes more.
Method for Tempering
- Add butter in a pan after it is hot add the mustard seeds and kasuri methi.
- After the mustard seeds crackle pour it immediately over the kadhi.
- Serve hot, yummy kadhi with rice and roti.