Friendship Day – July 30th
Friendship Day or International Friendship Day is celebrated on 30th July every year. The first World Friendship Day was proposed for 30 July in 1958, by the World Friendship Crusade.
It is a day to celebrate our special bond between friends which is not acquired by blood relations. Life is too boring and complicated without friends. The love and support you receive from your friends make your life happy and worthwhile. Having a good friend and their support is good for your well-being, they will walk and talk and show that they care by their actions – big or small.
Friendship is a beautiful thing where you share your laughs, snacks, tears, and a whole lot of irreplaceable memories. Aristotle has described friends as “single soul dwelling in two bodies” and according to research friends help us to live longer. A true friendship never sees the caste, creed, religion, and color of a person it only sees the internal beauty, simplicity, and soul of a person involved in friendship.
Why are friends important in your life:
1. They help and push us to accept ourselves as we are.
2. They will let us know when we are wrong and will teach you new things and are your protector.
3. They are present when we are in need of a company and you are never alone.
4. They really listen and your conversation with your friends will never be one-sided.
5. They support us every time be it grief, joy, failures, or success.
History of Friendship day
Friendship day was originally founded by Hallmark in 1919, a day for people to share their love and friendship through their cards. Friendship Day was promoted by the greeting card National Association during 1920 but met consumer resistance. The holiday was on the decline in the United States but gained popularity in Europe and Asia.
In 1998 Winnie the Pooh was named the world’s Ambassador of Friendship at the United Nations. The United Nations officially recognized 30th July as International Friendship Day, while most of the countries particularly in Europe and Asia choose to celebrate it on the first Sunday of August.
Now, this day is celebrated by millions of people every year worldwide. In many countries of the world including India, Friendship Day is celebrated on the first Sunday of August, but in the South American countries, July month is considered very sacred therefore the end of July is celebrated as Friendship Day.
Friendship Day around the world
The International Day of Friendship on 30 July is not the only day celebrating friendship around the world. A number of countries, such as Paraguay, also celebrate on 30 July, but other countries have different dates. For example, Argentina, Brazil, and Spain celebrate Friend’s Day on 20 July, while in India and the US, they celebrate it on the first Sunday in August. In Finland and Estonia, Friendship Day is celebrated on the same day as Valentine’s Day, 14 February.
Suggested Read: Best Friends Day
How to celebrate
On this day friends meet up to spend time together. They may eat out or have a meal at home. They give each other small gifts: books, flowers, simple jewelry such as a friendship band (a simple bracelet). Some people send each other cards and greetings online. Whatever form the celebration takes, the spirit is the same – to remember the importance of friends and the power of friendship.
Friendship Day Quotes
- F – Few
R – Relations
I – In
E – Earth
N – Never
D – Die
Happy Friendship Day
- A good friend
knows all your best stories
A best friend
has lived them with you.
- A friend is someone who gives you total freedom to be yourself.
- One of the most beautiful
qualities of true friendship is
to understand and to be understood!
- Friends are sunshine of Life.
- Friendship is like a perennial river which flows forever. It may change it’s path but will never ever dry up.
- Life is better with true friends.
- Best Friends are like stars, you don’t always see them but
you know they are always there.
Happy Friendship Day.
- A true friend is one who takes your hand and touches your heart.
- A true friend is someone
who accepts your past,
supports your present,
and encourages your future.
- A friend is one that knows you as you are, understands where you have been, accepts what you have become, and still, gently allows you to grow.
- A friend is one who overlooks your broken fence and admires the flowers in your garden.
- It’s not that diamonds are a girl’s best friend, but it’s your best friends who are your diamonds.
Suggested Read: Important Days In August