Easy Christmas Cake Recipe
Here is the recipe for Delicious Christmas Cakes You’ll Want To Bake Year After Year.
- 225g/8oz plain flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp mixed spice
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 200g/7oz butter
- 200g/7oz dark brown sugar
- 2 tbsp black treacle
- 1 tbsp marmalade
- 1/4tsp vanilla essence
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 800g/1 3/4 lb mixed dried fruits
- 100g/3 1/2 oz chopped mixed peel
- 150g/5oz glace cherries, halved
- 100g/3 1/2 oz blanched almonds, chopped
Also Read: Christmas Bread
- Heat the oven to 150C/300F/Gas. Grease a 20cm/8inch round or an 18cm/7inch square cake tin and line the bottom and sides with baking parchment.
- Sieve the flour, salt, mixed spice, and cinnamon into a bowl.
- Cream the butter and the sugar in a large mixing bowl and then mix in the sugar, treacle, marmalade, and vanilla essence until light and fluffy.
- Mix the eggs a little at a time into the mixture adding a tablespoon of the flour mixture with the last amount.
- Fold in the remaining flour mixture until well mixed and then mix in the dried fruit, mixed peel, glace cherries, and the almonds.
- Turn the mixture into the prepared tin and make a slight hollow in the center.
- Bake in the oven for 3 hours and then test with a skewer. If not ready bake for up to another hour testing every 20 minutes until the skewer comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin for 15 minutes.
- Turn out on to a wire rack and leave to cool.
- Once cool, make a few holes in the cake with a skewer and pour over 3-4 tbsp of brandy. Let the brandy soak into the cake.
- Store the cake wrapped in foil and in an airtight tin or plastic container, holes side up.
- OPTIONAL: For a rich and moist cake, spoon over a few tablespoons of brandy every week until you are ready to ice and decorate your cake.
Also Read: The Emblems of Christmas