Bohag Bihu Wishes | Assamese New Year Greetings
Bohag Bihu or Rangali Bihu is the harvest festival of Assam which marks the first day of the Hindu solar calendar. The farmers welcome the agricultural New Year at the advent of seeding time and is celebrated as the occasion of joy and merriment.
Bihu is the chief festival of Assam. There are three Bihu celebrated in a year namely Rongali Bihu or Bohag Bihu, Bhugali (Magh Bihu) and Kangali (Kati Bihu) marking the distinctive phase of farming in Assam. Magh Bihu marks the end of the harvesting period and is celebrated during Mid January at the time of Lohri Festival.
The Kati Bihu marks the completion of sowing and transplanting of paddies and it comes in the month of October. Rongali Bihu or Bohag Bihu is most important of the three and is celebrated in the month of April during the Assamese New Year and the spring festival. This Bihu is celebrated almost the same time as Baisakhi in Punjab, Poila Baisakh in Bengal, Puthandu in Tamil Nadu, and Vishu in Kerala.
Bohag Bihu or Rogali Bihu is actually a combination of seven Bihu celebrated in seven days in the month of spring. During the Bihu days people offers prayers to the elders in the family and seek blessings. The first day of the Bihu is called Goru Bihu, where the cows are cleaned and worshipped, which falls on the last day of the previous year, usually on April 15. The second day is Manuh (human) Bihu, the New Year’s Day, a day of wearing new clothes, celebrating with family, friends & community and welcoming the new year with fresh vigour.
The third day is Gosai (Gods) Bihu; statues of Gods, worshipped in all households are cleaned and people pray for a better, happier and prosperous new year. The fourth day, Kutum Bihu is when people visit family and relatives.
Fifth Day of Bhogal Bihu is called Senehi Bihu which is sort of like an Assamese Valentine’s Day. The sixth day is Mela Bihu where local communities organise fairs and functions where people come together to mingle with each other and strengthen the bond of communal brotherhood.
The Seventh and the last day of Bihu is Chera Bihu which marks the end of Seven days of Bihu celebrations where the common practice is exchange food between families and Neighbours with hopes and greetings of a happier new year for all.
- Here are a few messages and greetings for Bihu which you can share with your friends and family on this auspicious day.
- On the auspicious occasion of New Year, we wish that New Year brings happiness and peace, and safety of everyone.
- Let us vow to take life in our stride this Bihu and make it tolerable as well as beautiful by accepting sorrow and happiness with sanity. Happy Rongali Bihu!
- May this festival bring enormous happiness and enlighten your world! Wish you and your family a happy Bihu!
- Another Rongali Bihu is here. Let us banish our worries and mistakes and start afresh. Happy Bohag Bihu!
- Heartiest wishes of Rongali Bihu and Assamese new year. We hope this auspicious day will bring good health and prosperity to everyone in coming days.
- Let’s come together to celebrate the holy occasion of Bihu. Warm wishes to you and your loved ones.
- May the vibrant celebrations of Bihu spread joy and peace around you. Wishing you the best of Bihu celebrations with your loved ones. Happy Bohag Bihu!
- Let us welcome this Rongali Bihu with great hope, eagerness, and anticipation. Wishing you a year of joy, satisfaction, peace and prosperity! Happy Bihu to you!
- Here’s hoping that New Year Day brings along with it a new ray of hope. May there be peace and goodness all around. Happy Bohag Bihu
- Rongali Bihu is all about new and fresh so let’s banish our worries and mistakes and start afresh. Happy Bohag Bihu!
- Wish you a very Happy Bihu. May your life be as colorful and joyful as the festival of Bihu.
- May the Festival of Bihu Bring With It Great Hope, Eagerness, and Anticipation. Wishing You a Year of Joy, Satisfaction, Peace, and Prosperity. Happy Bohag Bihu!
- Let This Bihu Usher In a Good and Sweet Year, both materially and spiritually. Happy Bohag Bihu
- I hope this Rongali Bihu will bring cheer, prosperity and peace in your life. Let us pray that we gain enough strength to accept the highs and lows of life with equanimity.
- You can get all that you desire. May all your dreams come true. Health and prosperity can knock on your door. Wishing you a very happy Bihu.
- May God shower you and your family with his choicest blessings on this auspicious day of Bohag Bihu.