Points-based immigration system (United Kingdom)

Points-based immigration system (United Kingdom)

Five Tier Points-Based System

If you are a foreign national wanting to work or study in the UK but you are subject to immigration control, you must first apply for a UK visa. The UK Border Agency uses a five-tier points-based system with each tier divided into various categories for different types of work or study visa applications. Tier 1 is for high-value migrants, Tier 2 for skilled workers, Tier 3 for temporary unskilled workers, Tier 4 for students, and Tier 5 for temporary skilled or youth mobility workers.

TIER 1 – under Tier 1 entrepreneurs and investors, highly skilled and exceptionally talented workers can apply to enter or remain in the UK without needing a job offer but must pass a points-based assessment. Tier 1 of the points-based system currently contains 5 categories:

  • Exceptional talent
  • Entrepreneur
  • Investor
  • General highly skilled workers
  • Graduate entrepreneur

TIER 2 – under Tier 2 skilled workers can apply to enter or remain in the UK with a job offer in the UK from a licensed sponsor, a valid certificate of sponsorship, and bypassing the points-based assessment. Tier 2 of the points-based system contains 4 categories of skilled worker:

  • Generally skilled workers
  • Sportspeople
  • Ministers of Religion
  • Intra-company transferred staff

TIER 3 – Tier 3 of the points-based system is currently suspended preventing the employment of low-skilled workers from outside the EEA (European Economic Area).

TIER 4 – under Tier 4 students can apply to enter the UK as a child student between 4 and 17 years old, as an adult student over 18, alternatively as a child or student visitor. There are 4 categories to choose from:

  • Tier 4 (Child)
  • Tier 4 (General)
  • Child Visitors
  • Student Visitors

TIER 5 – under Tier 5 temporary skilled workers can apply to enter the UK for a short time although generally, they will need to be sponsored by an employer in the UK. There are 5 categories of temporary worker here, plus the youth mobility category (note, the youth mobility scheme is not an employment route):

  • Creative and sporting
  • Charity workers
  • Religious workers
  • Government-authorized exchange
  • International agreement
  • Youth mobility scheme

If you currently have permission to stay in the UK you may be able to switch to or from your category and/or tier from inside the UK although this will involve a fresh points-based assessment. An application for a worker or student visa can be complex and using the services of an immigration expert is highly recommended.

Avatar for Simmi Kamboj

Simmi Kamboj

Simmi Kamboj is the Founder and Administrator of Ritiriwaz, your one-stop guide to Indian Culture and Tradition. She had a passion for writing about India's lifestyle, culture, tradition, travel, and is trying to cover all Indian Cultural aspects of Daily Life.