National Smile Power Day – 15 June
National Smile Power Day is celebrated annually on June 15th to let everyone know how much difference a mere smile can make. A simple smile can take you a long way, be it at the start of your day or work. When you smile at another person you not only help yourself, but you help the other person. A smile is a universal greeting of happiness. It can also change the mood of someone that is feeling down.
This day celebrates the power of a smile. We are so busy these days that we have become dull faces, who have forgotten to share a smile. This day compels us to share the power of a smile as it is a beautiful symbol of happiness and positivity. It is not just one simple emotion, it is a gesture of hope and joy.
Whether fate smiled upon you or not, you can always find a good reason to smile. So grin from ear to ear, look on the bright side and smile your troubles away, just like the great Dr. Seuss suggested: “Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.
This is a day for everyone to share the power of the smile “A day to make others smile as well yourself”.
The power of a smile
The power to evoke emotion, the power to communicate happiness, the power to instantly change your mood – or someone else’s. Smiles are morale boosters and confidence builders and research has proven that smiling does increase attractiveness and likeability among humans.
Smiling (even if you do not feel like it) will lift your mood and can make you a happier person. If you do one thing today, let it be this and you can not only change your day around but also somebody else. There are countless other benefits to smiling, it can reduce our blood pressure, heart rate, pain, and stress.
It can increase endurance, strengthen our immune system, and even help keep the cells in our body healthy. Smiling can boost our productivity and make us more creative, make us seem more courteous, competent, likable, and trustworthy, and help us to live longer.
The national day prompts everyone to smile even those who are having troubling times such as an episode of unemployment, having family troubles, or financial issues, research has proven that smiling does increase attractiveness and likability among humans as well as create greater trust and increased interpersonal cooperation.
Psychologically, laughter helps to relieve stress, reduce anxiety, improve mood, and improves confidence. Laughter releases endorphins helping you to de-stress and relax providing some distraction from the pain. So remember a smile goes a long way not only can it help boost moods if you add some laughter you may be able to experience some of the physical benefits too.
National Smile Power Day mission:
- Start your day with a smile.
- Challenge yourself to smile more often today.
- Use a smile to disarm a tense situation.
- Smile during your daily tasks.
- Use #SmilePowerDay on social media.
Today is a day to share smiles with people you know and those you don’t. So get out there and be happy!
Quotes on the power of a simple smile
- A smile is the light in your window that tells others that there is a caring, sharing person inside. – Denis Waitley
- After every storm the sun will smile; for every problem there is a solution, and the soul’s indefeasible duty is to be of good cheer. – William R. Alger
- “A simple smile. That’s the start of opening your heart and being compassionate to others.” – Dalai Lama
- “A warm smile is the universal language of kindness.” — William Arthur Ward
- “A smiling face is a beautiful face. A smiling heart is a happy heart.”– Dr. T.P.Chia
- “Smile, it’s free therapy.” — Douglas Horton
- “Let us always meet each other with a smile, for the smile is the beginning of love.” – Mother Teresa
- “Smile in the mirror. Do that every morning and you’ll start to see a big difference in your life.” — Yoko Ono
- “A smile is happiness you’ll find right under your nose.” — Tom Wilson
- “Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.” ― Dr. Seuss
One smile reflects the other and that is how the chain of smiles begins…. Let us start this chain and never let it end…. Smile more and spread happiness….. Happy Smile Power Day!!
Suggested Read: World Smile Day