National Energy Conservation Day (India) – 14th December
National Energy Conservation Day is observed in India on the 14th of December to commemorate the Energy Conservation Act in India. The day was established by the Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE).
The Energy Efficiency Bureau is a constitutional body under the Government of India and helps in the development of policies and strategies to reduce energy use. The purpose of celebrating this day is to make people aware of the importance and use of energy. We must use energy, whether natural or electrical, rather than misuse it.
Conserving energy undoubtedly leads to a better quality of life. Reduced carbon emissions mean cleaner air, a healthier planet, and saving the limited resources that we have. The celebration is an occasion to make energy conservation a daily habit and a people’s movement.
The Energy Conservation Act
The Act provides the regulatory mandate for standards & labeling of equipment and appliances; energy conservation building codes for commercial buildings; and energy consumption norms for energy-intensive industries. In addition, the Act enjoins the Central Govt. and the Bureau to take steps to facilitate and promote energy efficiency in all sectors of the economy. The Act also directs states to designate agencies for the implementation of the Act and promotion of energy efficiency in the state. The EC Act was amended in 2010 and the main amendments of the Act are given below
The Central Government may issue the energy savings certificate to the designated consumer whose energy consumption is less than the prescribed norms and standards in accordance with the procedure as may be prescribed.
The designated consumer whose energy consumption is more than the prescribed norms and standards shall be entitled to purchase the energy savings certificate to comply with the prescribed norms and standards.
The Central Government may, in consultation with the Bureau, prescribe the value of per metric ton of oil equivalent of energy consumed.
Commercial buildings which are having a connected load of 100 kW or contract demand of 120 kVA and above come under the purview of ECBC under the EC Act.
Suggested Read: Renewable Energy Day
Ministry of Power, through Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE), has initiated a number of energy efficiency initiatives in the areas of household lighting, commercial buildings, standards and labeling of appliances, demand-side management in agriculture/municipalities, SME’s and large industries including the initiation of the process for the development of energy consumption norms for industrial sub-sectors, capacity building of SDA’s, etc.
The Energy Conservation Act seeks to use expert, specialized and optimistic managers and auditors for better execution of energy efficiency projects, implementation of progress in various ongoing works on energy, projects, policy and studies, and finance, so that energy in India A better future can be secured. Not only a day but a full week is celebrated as National Energy Conservation Week by the Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE).
National Energy Conservation Day is celebrated every year with a specific theme to make it more effective among the people keeping in mind certain goals and objectives.
Suggested Read: National Pollution Prevention Day
How is National Energy Conservation Day celebrated?
In order to make the national energy conservation movement more efficient and extraordinary across the country, many programs are organized through various organizations. In this context, many important energy conservation competitions are organized by the Government of India and also by the common people around the settlements. These include:
• Painting competition – A painting competition for students at the School, State and at National level has been included as one of the activities of the campaign, which would not only make aware the children about the need of conserving energy but at the same time would educate and involve their parents as well in the above cause.
• Poster making, Writing slogans – The main objective of this Poster making and slogan writing program would be to promote and encourage college students to come out with their innovative ideas in terms of energy efficiency and its conservation. It would, also, provide equal opportunities for leading corporates to absorb such brilliant minds in their energy-intensive units and would facilitate more cost-effective ways of energy savings. This initiative will facilitate greater awareness about energy efficiency at the starting phase of college students.
• Awards – The Ministry of Power, Government of India has launched a scheme in 1991, to give national recognition through awards to industries and establishments that have taken special efforts to reduce energy consumption while maintaining their production. The awards were given away for the first time on December 14, 1991, which was declared as the `National Energy Conservation Day’.
It is a national awareness campaign launched by the Ministry of Power to facilitate the process of energy conservation in India and make more and more people aware and educate them on the importance of energy conservation. The Ministry of Power, Govt. of India, has decided to organize the “National Energy Conservation Award 2020” to recognize the efforts of various industrial units/establishments/organizations who have achieved efficient utilization and conservation of energy. People are especially encouraged on this day to reduce energy consumption and use it efficiently.
Suggested Read: World Science Day for Peace and Development
The objective of National Energy Conservation Day
National Energy Conservation Day is celebrated every year with the help of a specific theme, focusing on the important objectives and goals to spread the message in the context of the need for energy across the country. Some of the relevant objectives are:
• It is celebrated to spread the importance of energy conservation in every stage of life.
• By conducting various events like discussions, conferences, debates, workshops, competitions and etc. across the country, the method of energy conservation process is confirmed.
• To obtain the support of individuals for the use of less energy to avoid wastage and unnecessary use.
• Using better mediums to reduce energy consumption and check energy losses and motivate people to use effective energy.