There are a host of traditional delicacies that are relished on Holi Festival making the occasion even more enjoyable. Gujjia is one of favorite Holi traditional delicacies that is made almost in every house. Here is simple recipe for you to make Gujjia at home.
Ingredients for Gujjia pastry
- All purpose flour (Maida) 2 cups
- Ghee 2 tsp
- Oil for frying
Ingredients for Stuffing
- Mawa or Khoya 2/3 cups
- Ghee 1 tsp
- Sugar 1/2 cup
- Cashews chopped 10
- Almonds Chopped 10
- Pistachios Chopped 10
- Raisin (Kismish) chopped 20
- Walnuts Chopped 10
- Cardamon Powder 1/2 tsp
- In a bowl sift all purpose flour and add ghee and mix it well.
- Add water as needed to form a stiff dough, cover it with a muslin cloth for 15 minutes.
To prepare stuffing
- In a pan put ghee and fry chopped almonds, cashews and walnuts until slight brown, keep them aside.
- In the same pan crumble the khoya and melt it in low flame.
- Stir the khoya continuously till it is cooked and melted.
- Remove it from flame and add powdered sugar and rest of the dry fruits and cardamon powder.
- Mix everything well and stuffing is ready to be filled.
How to make
- Now divide the dough into lemon shapes small balls and roll it in form of puri.
- Place the stuffing mixture in the center.
- Fold the puri into half, lightly moisten the edges and press it in form of Gujjia.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the Gujjia one at a time till golden brown.
- Drain on paper tissue and once cooled store them in a air tight container.