Akshay Tritiya | Parshuram Jayanti
In 2023 Parshuram Jayanti is on Saturday, April 22.
Lord Parashuram, the sixth incarnation of Vishnu was born on Shukla Tritiya of Vaishak month. Akshay Tritiya is celebrated on this day, it falls on the third Tithi (lunar day) of Bright Half (Shukla Paksha) of the pan-Indian month of Vaishakha and one of the four most important days for Hindus.
Akshaya Tritiya, also known as Akha Teej is a Hindu and Jain holy day, that falls on the third day of the waxing phase of the moon of Vaishakha ( April- May ). It is believed to be the day when the sun and the moon become equally bright.
Parshuram’s power is not renewable due to birth on Akshaya Tritiya as the word “Akshaya” means the never diminishing. Even today, Lord Parshuram is alive in Kali Yuga.
This is one of the most auspicious days according to the Hindu calendar. The day on which Moon, Sun, and Jupiter unitedly come under Mrigshira Nakshatra is called Akshay Tritiya.
For a Hindu, Akshay Tritiya is the most auspicious day of the year.
The day is considered auspicious for starting new ventures. The legend is that any venture initiated on the auspicious day of Akshaya Tritiya continues to grow and bring prosperity. Hence, new ventures, like starting a business, construction, etc. is performed on Akshaya Tritiya.
Akshay Tritiya is reserved for buying gold, silver, and other assets. On this day jewelers keep their shops open well into twilight time to entertain their buyers.
Akshay Tritiya is a holy day in the Jain calendar as well.
People who observe the year-long alternative day fasting finish their Tapasya this day. Hindus wear new clothes and plant banyan and pipal trees on Akshaya Tritiya.
Works recommended and prohibited during Akshay Tritiya
Things you must do
- Buy gold and jewelry – Gold is a symbol of power, gold bought on this day never diminishes and stays with the family forever.
- Buying a new house – Buying a new property is considered auspicious this day, so always consider investing in a house or property.
- Buying a new car – Buying vehicles on this day ensures safe communication and longevity.
- Good day for marriages – The day is fully blessed to start a new relationship and tie yourself to the secret bond of marriage.
- Good day to start a new business – If you are planning to start a new venture then Akshaya Tritiya is the best time to do so so that it flourishes and is a success.
- Perform sacred rituals like poojas, yagnyas, homas, and havans.
Things you must not do
- Ending of fasts on this day as it is a day of beginnings new things not ending.
- Don’t perform Upanayanam, a ceremony of wearing scared thread for the first time.
On the day of Akshay Tritiya, the chanting of the Gayatri Mantra of Lord Parashurama is recommended.
Gayatri Mantra of Lord Parashurama
Om jamdgnyay vidhmhe mahaaviraay dhimhi ! tannH prashuram prachodyat !
‘om ram ram om ram ram om parshuhstaay namH’iti moolmantra !
परशुराम गायत्री मंत्र :-
ॐ जामदग्न्याय विद्महे महावीराय धीमहि ! तन्न: परशुराम: प्रचोदयात !
‘ॐ रां रां ॐ रां रां ॐ परशुहस्ताय नम: ’इति मूलमंत्र: !